Every spring, we see dandelions growing in our yards and in the fields. Many of us treat our yards with weed killer to get rid of them. If you learned that dandelions have health benefits, would you see reconsider killing them?
I was shopping at my local Wegman’s, and I bought some dandelion greens. I buy them by the bunch. When I got to the checkout line, the cashier asked me what I used it for. It’s not a popular item, like kale or spinach. After telling her that I use it when I juice, she understood. She mentioned that customers use it to make smoothies or even for their pets. (Keep reading to find out how).
There are many benefits of dandelion; you can use the root, the flower, or the greens. As I mentioned, I juice the greens along with pineapple, green apple, and flax seed meal. You can also drink dandelion tea, cold or hot.
- Weight loss. Dandelion is a diuretic, which means that it rids the body of excess water which helps with weight loss.
- Inflammation. Dandelion greens treat muscle aches and joint pain.
- Relieves constipation and increases bowel movements. Because I use it as part of my juicing regimen, it keeps me “regular”.
- Diabetes. Dandelion fights both Type I and Type II diabetes by removing excess sugar from the body.
- Reduces high cholesterol. High cholesterol, high blood pressure, and diabetes are typically diagnosed together.
- High blood pressure. Since dandelion works as a diuretic, it can help lower blood pressure without the unwanted side effects of a prescription drug.
- Cancer fighter. Boil the dried yellow flowers in water and drink the liquid. Dandelion purifies the blood and detoxes the liver. Many of those cancer drugs, in addition to chemotherapy and radiation therapy, can be extremely toxic to the body. (Why do most cancer patients lose their hair?). Dandelions are high in vitamin K. It’s been proven to work for “drug- resistant forms of cancer”.
- Kidney failure. Dandelion root strengthens the kidneys.
- Eye and skin health. Dandelion greens contain over 100 percent of vitamin A to improve vision and fight skin infections.
- Chronic indigestion and excess gas. Dandelion works great for dogs that suffer from digestion issues.
Remember, as we approach Spring, please pick the dandelions in your yard or wherever you can find them. Our Power put herbs on the earth to heal us (Jubilees 10:12). Shalom!