More than 3.5 million Americans live with an autism spectrum disorder. Autism is the fastest growing developmental disability Autism in children has increased 119.4 percent since 2000. Adults with autism were diagnosed as children. The common symptoms of autism are speech delay, lack of interest in playing with toys or “pretend play”, limited social skills, atypical behaviors (i.e. tapping on walls), and repetitive behaviors, such as arm flapping. In addition, sensitivity to sounds, smells, tastes, and/or touch, becoming upset or “shutting down” if change in routine, not making eye contact, often repeating words and phases, and being unaware of boundaries and “space” of others.
Herbal Supplements That Alleviate Autism Symptoms
- Activated charcoal
This substance can adsorb poisons within the body such as lead and mercury. It also works to adsorb excess gas and bacteria from the intestines. It is a common belief that autism is caused by heavy metal toxicity.
Many people use this herb in many culinary dishes such as pasta and meatballs or pesto. It also detoxes heavy metals from the body by adsorption.
Garlic is also popular in the culinary world. It works to boast immunity from certain ailments like colds and other respiratory disorders. It also treats digestive problems. The only downside for some is the odor.
- Grapefruit seed extract
This rids the body of yeast overgrowth in the intestines and the mouth. Candida can cause many health problems if ignored.
- Milk thistle
This herbal supplement detoxes the liver. The liver works to detoxify the entire body. There is link to liver health and detoxification of the blood.
- Gotu kola leaf
This supplement enhances memory and intellectual functioning. It also works to increase blood circulation within the body.
Ginkgo leaf or ginkgo biloba can treat a variety of brain, circulatory, and nerve conditions by increasing blood flow to the brain. Proper blood flow to the brain can ensure an adequate amount of oxygen in the brain. This would lead to improved cognitive abilities resulting in improved behaviors.
This herb also improves cognitive function and memory. It is more effective when taken with other herbal supplements. It also boosts energy and promotes relaxation.
- Methyl Sulfonyl Methane
Also known as MSM, this supplement improve joint health, increases immunity, and decreases inflammation. It also works to combat leaky gut syndrome.
- Oregon grape
It is used as a remedy for various skin conditions. It also works as a laxative and antibiotic by clearing liver congestion and regulating the flow of bile.
There are other natural remedies that can work to heal autism. Autism is treatable with the appropriate therapies. One may receive results quickly; however, others will need to be tenacious until they results. The autism spectrum is broad.
Every spring, we see dandelions growing in our yards and in the fields. Many of us treat our yards with weed killer to get rid of them. If you learned that dandelions have health benefits, would you see reconsider killing them?
I was shopping at my local Wegman’s, and I bought some dandelion greens. I buy them by the bunch. When I got to the checkout line, the cashier asked me what I used it for. It’s not a popular item, like kale or spinach. After telling her that I use it when I juice, she understood. She mentioned that customers use it to make smoothies or even for their pets. (Keep reading to find out how).
There are many benefits of dandelion; you can use the root, the flower, or the greens. As I mentioned, I juice the greens along with pineapple, green apple, and flax seed meal. You can also drink dandelion tea, cold or hot.
- Weight loss. Dandelion is a diuretic, which means that it rids the body of excess water which helps with weight loss.
- Inflammation. Dandelion greens treat muscle aches and joint pain.
- Relieves constipation and increases bowel movements. Because I use it as part of my juicing regimen, it keeps me “regular”.
- Diabetes. Dandelion fights both Type I and Type II diabetes by removing excess sugar from the body.
- Reduces high cholesterol. High cholesterol, high blood pressure, and diabetes are typically diagnosed together.
- High blood pressure. Since dandelion works as a diuretic, it can help lower blood pressure without the unwanted side effects of a prescription drug.
- Cancer fighter. Boil the dried yellow flowers in water and drink the liquid. Dandelion purifies the blood and detoxes the liver. Many of those cancer drugs, in addition to chemotherapy and radiation therapy, can be extremely toxic to the body. (Why do most cancer patients lose their hair?). Dandelions are high in vitamin K. It’s been proven to work for “drug- resistant forms of cancer”.
- Kidney failure. Dandelion root strengthens the kidneys.
- Eye and skin health. Dandelion greens contain over 100 percent of vitamin A to improve vision and fight skin infections.
- Chronic indigestion and excess gas. Dandelion works great for dogs that suffer from digestion issues.
Remember, as we approach Spring, please pick the dandelions in your yard or wherever you can find them. Our Power put herbs on the earth to heal us (Jubilees 10:12). Shalom!
Many of us use essential oils for health and wellness, for massage, and even for cleaning. I love the smells and the benefits of these oils. There are MANY essential oils, but I have a few that I use often.
- Lavender oil. Extracted from the lavender plant, I use lavender oil when I’m cleaning. Many of the household cleaners are too strong and caustic. There are alternatives that you can use. Adding lavender oil to a mixture of water, white vinegar, and baking soda makes the bathroom smell great. It is also an oil that is used to relieve stress and pain. Add it to bath water or a foot soak and watch the effects. I also use it to make forming hand soap.
- Eucalyptus oil. This oil is extracted from eucalyptus leaves. I put 10-20 in a diffuser with distilled water or colloidal silver water. It helps to relieve congestion. You will rest better. Since we are in the midst of cold and flu season, this is the perfect time to use this. When my husband and I were sick one month ago, the diffuser stayed on throughout the day and night.
- Tea tree oil. Also known as Melaleuca alternifolia, this oil has a variety of uses. Combine with lavender oil and other ingredients to make a salve to use to help heal cuts, bruises, and abrasions. Since pure tea tree oil is very concentrated, I add 2 drops to water to use on my face for acne breakouts, particularly those that occur during “that time of the month”.
- Orange oil. I love the smell, so I sometimes use this for cleaning in place of lavender oil. It’s also works well for hand soap.
- Citronella. This oil works great as a insect repellent, particularly for mosquitos. You can use citronella candles or a bug spray. It is derived from plants from the lemongrass family, so it would be safer than using an insect repellent like Off ! which contains 7 percent DEET. Commonly known as N,N-Diethyl-m-toluamide, it is linked to neurological disorders and is an irritant.
Research and try these and other essential oils that are marketed. In addition to diet and exercise, adding essential oils as part of your program will improve your health and overall well-being.
I have been dealing with thyroid nodules for the last 8 years. Two Ear, Nose, and Throat Specialists advised me that I did not need surgery; one recommended that I needed it. Until last year, they did not irritate me. I almost opted to have surgery last year; however, a few weeks before I was scheduled to have surgery, I was told that my insurance would not cover all expenses. Was that a coincidence? No, not at all!
Doctors make surgery sound so simple. They would remove my entire thyroid, and I would have to take thyroid medication for the rest of my life. I wasn’t comfortable with that. I was introduced to an herbalist that instructed me on my thyroid nodules. Basically, nodules form because the blood needs to be detoxed. You detox the blood and the liver with a healthy diet and herbal supplements. I took the recommended herbal supplements and ate a vegan diet for a month. (By vegan, I didn’t eat any meat, dairy, pasta, bread, or sweets). My nodules began to reduce in size.
I didn’t continue the vegan lifestyle, but I continued taking the supplements. I’ve always been a coffee lover, whether it’s plain coffee, cappuccino, or iced coffee. I wasn’t an alcohol drinker, but in the last few months, I begin indulging in red wine, about 2-3 glasses per week. I noticed that my nodules were beginning to grow and become irritating again. After discussing with my herbalist, he said that coffee and wine increases thyroid nodules.
I stopped drinking both immediately. Alcohol, coffee, and black tea are highly acidic. You hear conflicting reports about coffee; some articles say that it can have positive effects on your health and some say to avoid it. Wine is good for the heart, but you need to drink a good-quality wine to get the benefits.
I’ve mentioned in my previous posts that I do not eat pork, shrimp, crab, and lobster for religious reasons. Although beef, chicken, turkey, and certain fish (not shark or catfish) are acceptable to eat, I will most likely return to the vegan lifestyle. Meat is very acidic, and it is very important to keep your body alkaline. I would prefer being a vegan over having surgery and taking medication for life.
Women (and in some cases men) use cosmetics to enhance facial features. However, some cosmetics contain chemicals that can be harmful to the body. Below is a short list of those ingredients that can be found in color cosmetics. I’ve also included some ingredients found in nail polish. It’s summertime, and many of us want to show off our feet by wearing vibrant colors on our toenails. It’s fine to look beautiful. I want to make you aware of all of your options.
Common ingredients found in makeup (i.e. foundation, color cosmetics):
Propylparaben – preservative; can mimic estrogen; can disrupt hormones
Methylparaben – preservative; can cause (breast) cancer, skin, and eye damage.
Disodium EDTA (ethelenediaminetetraacetic acid) – makes hard water soft
Diazolidinyl urea – preservative and formaldehyde releaser; can cause allergies. It should be noted that formaldehyde is toxic and used to preserve cadavers (dead bodies).
These chemicals can also be listed as benzoic acid, 4-hydroxybenzoic acid, methyl ester, etc. For a complete list and for more information about cosmetic ingredients, visit
Common ingredients found in nail polish
Acetone – this is used as nail polish remover, sometimes 100% or diluted. Used for laboratory experiments or cleaning laboratory glassware.
Dibutyl phthalate (DBP) – increases flexibility and shine in polish; causes birth defects
Formaldehyde – causes cancer
Triphenyl phosphate (TPHP) – used to make plastic; disrupts hormones, and contributes to weight gain and obesity
Always read the ingredients before you buy any product. If you can’t pronounce it, don’t buy it or buy at your own risk. Personally, I enjoy being pampered from a manicure or pedicure. There may be non-toxic brands available, or you may opt for no polish. If you have the time, you can do it yourself in the comfort of your own home.
For ideas on homemade makeup and non-toxic nail polish options, visit:
Read more “The Dangers of Cosmetics”
For those of us that clean, particularly moms (and dads), we may use cleaning products with very strong odors. Sometimes, the smell is so strong that it makes us cough. We use it because it works, right? If we open the windows as we clean, the smell won’t be so bothersome.
Well, have you ever read the ingredients on the label of a bottle of cleaner? For instance, toilet bowl cleaners, no matter the name brand, contain hydrochloric acid or HCl for all my fellow scientists. Hydrochloric acid is a strong acid, which means that it can burn the skin. The fumes from the vapors are very toxic. Whenever, I’ve had to use this for lab experiments, I wore gloves and worked under a fume hood.
Some of you may use bleach to clean your toilets and for washing your white laundry. Although like hydrochloric acid, bleach will kill the germs and “whiten whites”; however, bleach contains chlorine, which is also toxic. (If you swim in a chlorinated swimming pool, you may notice that your eyes my burn if they come in contact with the water).
Many drain cleaners contain concentrated acid. So, since HCl and bleach are both harmful, there are safer, effective ways to clean. Mixing 1/2 cup of vinegar with 1/2 cup baking soda will clean the drain.
As the weather is getting warmer, you see more insects. Since our house is surrounded by trees, we often find ants and other insects in our home. Since my son is fascinated with all types of bugs, I don’t want to use any strong chemicals in our home. We also have a dog that should not be exposed to chemicals. For gnats, I leave a small glass of apple cider vinegar in the area that they populate. After a few days, I’ll notice gnats floating in the glass of vinegar. For ants, I make a mixture of 1:1 white vinegar and water and 5 drops of essential oil. (I chose lavender scent, but it’s your personal preference). It kills ants (and spiders also). I spray it around the doorways to repel the ones that are trying to enter our home.
Here is a list of alternatives that you can use in the home instead of chemicals:
1. Glass cleaner – 1 tbsp. vinegar in a quart of water
2. Shower cleaner – use vinegar in a spray bottle
3. Furniture polish – use a damp cloth or try this recipe: 1 3/4 cup water, 1/4 cup white vinegar, 2 tsp. olive oil, and 1/2 tsp. lemon essential oil
4. Chlorine bleach – use non-chlorine bleach
5. Toilet bowl cleaner – baking soda and vinegar. (This also gets rid of urine odors, particularly for households with boys!). Baking soda is also known as sodium bicarbonate.
6. General cleaning – water, vinegar, and lemon juice. White vinegar kills both salmonella and E. coli bacteria from contaminated food or water.
Simple household items can do wonders in your home. You’ll not only make your home environmentally sound, but you will also save money.
|Meat Comparison per 3oz
||Saturated Fat (g)
Goat meat is eaten globally and is actually the most consumed meat in the world. Western countries, on the other hand, are not as accustomed to the meat and still would rather eat the likes of beef, lamb and chicken. Dairy products from goats have never been a problem,though, with many being particularly fond of goat’s cheese. Goats milk is perhaps less popular; however, some argue that it is kinder to the stomach due to a different protein structure that is easier to digest. Over recent years, there has been a rising trend for goat meat, particularly in the USA and the UK, but what is it about the meat that is supposedly so good for us?
It is thought that eating too much red meat can contribute to high blood pressure and high cholesterol that can then create cardiovascular problems. Goat meat, however, is a lean white meat, with little fat and full of protein. Containing less fat and lower cholesterol levels, goat meat serves as a great alternative to eating red meat. Great for maintaining a healthy lifestyle and for incorporating into a weight loss plan.
Goat meat also contains less unsaturated fat than all red meats combined and contains amino acids and high levels of iron that the body needs. It can be particularly good for anaemic persons as they need to consume more iron than those who are not iron deficient. The high levels of unsaturated fat found in goat meat can actually help to enhance good cholesterol in the body and even stabilise the heartbeat. Due to these benefits, goat meat has been labelled as food that is good for the heart, so it will be beneficial to those who have cardiovascular problems.
Also new to the scene is Kid meat, meat that is sadly often wasted due to a high demand of dairy products produced by goats. Goat’s cheese and goat’s milk are very popular, and the demand for produce has led to dairy farmers breeding more goats for females to produce milk. Of course, you are not guaranteed to get female goats as male goats may be born instead or as well. The problem for dairy farmers is that they have no use for male goats and keeping them is too expensive. As a result, the males are put down and have had no real value to their life.
With such a huge amount of waste, farmers are now trying to sell male Kids so that the meat can be utilized and sold in restaurants. Kid meat is healthy and tasty and can be cooked in a variety of different ways. It may seem alien to some, but if it is eaten in other parts of the world, there is no reason as to why it shouldn’t be eaten here.
Emma is a keen writer with an interest in health and nutrition. She often writes about foods that are good for us and how they can benefit the body.
Table source – http://msue.anr.msu.edu/news/eat_goat_it_is_a_healthy_choice
Now you have skin and face problems, now you don’t. Eggs, yeast, fish, beans, and milk form some of the ingredients of vitamin b, and therefore by default the ingredients of the finest vitamin B face serums. Vitamin C, on the other hand, is the strong antioxidant found in such fruits as mangoes, pineapples, lemons, and oranges among a myriad of others. Before we look in great detail at vitamin B serum for face and vitamin C serum Australia, we look to understand the ingredients that make up these wonderful vitamins and how they help our skin and face.
Vitamin B is useful in treating shallowness, Rosacea, acne (blackheads), bullous pemphigoid and granuloma annular (don’t worry about the terms used in the last two; they are both skin conditions which have bad manners). Vitamin B is also known for fading discoloration and age spots on the skin and is a great moisturizer.
In many cases, vitamin B is very good for people with sensitive and oily skin. There’s a wide variety of vitamin B, which means it pays to know most of them. Vitamin B2, for example, is likely to make your skin a little oily, and Vitamin B5 when taken in high doses works wonders for sufferers of acne, although it could have one or two side effects (especially diarrhea, so watching your diet is also advisable).
Vitamin C, as previously stated, is one hell of an antioxidant, with free radicals resistance yet to meet a match and anti-aging capabilities with few equals. In simple terms, if all the rest should fail in your quest to beat the decline of your skin, try vitamin C. Various research labs in Australia, including our affiliates, have gone to great pains to explain the usefulness of vitamin C, and therefore, serums with vitamin c ingredients. You should, at this point, know that Australia hosts some of the finest and complete research labs on the subject of aging, so usually when they say something, it helps to pay attention.
Humans, unlike many animals, are one of the few animals without the capability to synthesize their own vitamin C and must get it from the plethora of foods that produce them, some of which were mentioned earlier in this article. The urgency for vitamin C is best explained in its functions-synthesizing collagen, minimizing scar tissue, wound healing, prevention of fine lines and wrinkles, prevention of stress-related diseases, and blocks free radicals damage.
In the end, we need to have pretty skin and pretty faces. Without vitamin B and vitamin c serums, our skin loses their firmness and gives way to bacterial attacks. The result is that we age faster than we would like or would be normal. On the other hand, proper maintenance of our skin using the two vitamins makes us (almost) eternally youthful. And that, dear reader, is all you need to know about vitamin b serum for face and vitamin c serum Australia. All you need to do is go out there and make wise choices.
Read more “Vitamins C and B – Just like Magic Now”
Winter can bring about a whole host of problems and obstacles when it comes to staying healthy. It is, of course, cold and flu season.
Winter also brings about a lot of holidays and holiday parties, which can throw a wrench into any healthy eating regimen. Add alcohol at those gatherings, the stress of being extremely busy, holiday shopping where you’ll come across many people with a cold, and it’s a recipe for a health disaster.
And there’s no cure for the common cold. So how exactly can you keep yourself from having all your energy zapped out of you while ending up flat on your back on the couch for days, despite that mile long to do list?
So, you’re surrounded by sick people, your stress levels are high, you’re really busy, and your eating isn’t as healthy as it would be under normal circumstances. It doesn’t sound good!
But don’t worry. All is not lost! There are ways to stay healthy this winter!
- Get Your Sleep
No matter how busy you are or what you have to get done, getting enough sleep is absolutely crucial to a healthy body and mind! You can not skimp on sleep!
Your body needs time to rest and recover, even more so when stress levels are higher, which is definitely the case around the end of year holiday season.
You may also want to cut back on your workouts during the winter to make sure your body has time to recover. When your body is overworked and you aren’t getting enough sleep, it promotes an acidic environment, and this is a breeding ground for viruses and other nasty germs to have their way with you.
Get seven to nine hours of sleep every night. Yes, even on weekends. And do your best to get up about the same time every day, seven days a week.
- Relax, Chill Out, Kick Back
Whatever you want to call it, you need to find time to take the proverbial chill pill. A 2012 study that was published in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences showed that people who had to deal with a very stressful occurrence were twice as likely to end up with the common cold.
So find some down time, whether it’s yoga, meditation, or just sitting quietly listening to mellow music. Even fifteen minutes a day can work wonders.
- Get Spicy
Take some turmeric. It contains curcumin which is an immune system booster, exactly what you need during cold and flu system. You can get whole turmeric powder in tablets or capsules.
- Bad For Your Breath But Good For Your Health
Another great immune booster is garlic. A study published in Advances in Therapy showed that garlic can decrease the frequency of the common cold by as much as 64 percent!
But cooking can ruin the active ingredients, so be sure to mash it or chop it and put some in a salad or something.
- Drink Your Green Tea
Green tea has high levels of powerful anti-oxidants to help keep you healthy. It also has high levels of catechin, which can fight and maybe even prevent damage to your cells.
And here’s something to go with “Chill Out” to get rid of that stress! Green tea is high in theanine, which has been shown to have a calming effect and can help you to unwind and relax.
- Try Some Echinacea
This one is still up for debate, and there are many in the medical community on both sides of the argument.
However, a study done in 2010 in the Annals of Internal Medicine showed that while taking echinacea won’t help prevent a cold, it could possibly shorten the time in which you have the cold. It can’t hurt, so if you feel a cold coming on, you might want to try some.
Nothing you do will guarantee you don’t succumb to a cold this winter, but if you follow these simple tips to stay healthy, you’ll give yourself a great chance of doing so.
Even if you succumb to a cold, chances are you could be healthier, have more energy and feel less stressed throughout the winter.
Author : Aria Meyer is a freelance writer and an active blogger. She writes mainly about fashion and technology, but she also writes about other topics too. She is currently working with several e-commerce websites to help them with content. Aria received her Bachelor’s Degree from Cal State Long Beach and is currently living in Walnut, CA. Right now, she is working closely with EMed Items to help them grow the marketing department.
The word “toxins” has sort of become the newest boogeyman in the world of health and wellness. People blame them for health disorders, stress, aging, and many other things, and there are many products meant to help you detox.
But why is it important to get rid of toxins? Does it even matter? Here are a few reasons you should detox regularly:
- Fight chronic disease — Diseases like rheumatoid arthritis, celiac disease, and many neurological diseases have been linked to toxic buildup in the human body, so detoxing can help to reduce your risk of developing these diseases. Toxins can also causes these diseases to worsen, which is why it’s a good idea to detox regularly if you suffer from a chronic illness.
- Promote weight loss –– Did you know that toxins stop you from losing weight? Toxic buildup in your body causes your metabolism to slow down, and it can even prevent our bodies from being able to burn fat properly. By detoxing, you get rid of the toxins that are stored in fat cells and which slow down your metabolism.
- Improve immune function –– Toxins are difficult for your body to get rid of, so your immune system is often called in to fight off these invading chemicals. This distracts it from its true threat–infections and bacteria–and it may cause you to get sick. Detoxing frees up your immune system to focus on keeping you healthy and free of disease.
- Reduce signs of aging — When you age, your skin, organs, hair, bones, and muscles degrade, and that degradation is only made worse by toxins. Toxins can cause free radicals to form, and those free radicals can cause the aging to worsen. By detoxing, you increase the amount of nutrients your body can absorb from the food you eat.
- Improve the health of your skin and hair –– When your skin begins to wrinkle, fade, and sag, it is often the result of toxins building up beneath the skin’s surface. Toxins stop your body from producing the collagen and elastin that keeps your skin looking great, so it’s important to detox for your skin and hair’s sake!
- Boost digestive health — When you have a lot of toxins built up in your body, your digestive system is unable to function properly. You’ll find that problems like IBS or leaky gut syndrome are often the result of toxic build-up in the intestines or stomach, so detoxing regularly can reduce the risk of digestive health issues.
- Improve quality of life — When you use detoxing products like detox foot patches or baths, you reduce the risk of toxins causing headaches, sleep problems, joint pains, digestive disorders, fatigue, and so many other problems that can reduce the quality of life.
Need any more reasons to detox? It’s so vital to your health that it’s hard to imagine a month going by without a natural detox!
Written by Chris Miller