As a kid, I loved soda…black cherry, orange, Dr. Pepper…Pepsi. Even up until four years ago, I still loved soda. Then, I did my research. I worked in laboratories for 9 years-it’s automatic. The next time you pick up a soda, think about these things.
1. Soda is high in sugar. We always watch how much sugar we let our kids have. We should do the same as adults for ourselves.
2. High fructose corn syrup. We find this in many other foods. It can make certain foods highly addictive and lead to obesity, diabetes, and other health problems. Has anyone ever told you that it’s hard for him or her to stop drinking soda? Do you find it difficult to stop drinking soda?
3. Diet soda contains aspartame. Some people may think that drinking diet soda will be better than drinking the regular stuff. No. Not at all. (By the way, eating a bunch of fast food and washing it down with diet soda isn’t doing you any good). Diet soda actually increases craving for carbohydrates and sweets. Aspartame is an artificial sweetener that can produce methanol as a bi-product. Methanol is found in anti-freeze.
4. People use cola as a cleaning product. Cola cleans stains in a toilet bowl and brings the shine back to a penny. In addition, both regular and diet soda contain phosphoric acid, a strong acid that is commonly used to remove rust. Now, if cola cleans all of these things, what happens in your body?
5. New study shows that caramel color may pose a health risk. Brown soft drinks typically contain caramel color. According to Consumer Reports, this artificial coloring contains 4-Mel (4-methylimidazole), a carcinogen (cancer-causing agent). Certain brands of soft drinks contain varying levels of it according to Consumer Reports’ experts.
6. Less cans and bottles. Most of us saw the commercial with Scarlett Johansson promoting “sodastream”. This system allows you to make your own soda with less sugar, no high fructose corn syrup, and of course, your own glass. In this case, your recycle bin won’t be overflowing with soda cans and bottles.
Well, I hope that I at least gave you something to think about. I know that it’s not easy to give up something that you really love. Always be sure to check the product label for its ingredients. When I was in high school, a friend at that time would always ask me why I always read the ingredients? The answer is simple: I want to know what’s in my food and drink. Wouldn’t you?
“Caramel color: The health risk that may be in your soda”. http://www.ConsumerReports.org.
Dougherty, Rae Ann. “Mythbuster & Science of Cleaning: Cleaning with Coca-Cola-Effective Green Cleaning Products?” http://www.greencleaningproductsllc.com.